Ultra HD videos surely take up huge amounts of space. They also may not open on your smartphone or tablet due to their big size. Unless you’ve got a magic unlimited storage you’d probably want to make them smaller. You can easily compress video in Movavi Video Converter. And here’s all you need to know about the software and the compression process itself.
General information about compressing videos
Video compression may be a tricky issue as the video size is in strong correlation with its quality. This means that if you want a smaller file you’ll have to sacrifice its quality – it is called lossy compression which is used by the majority of video compressors.
However, you don’t need to choose the lowest possible resolution to reduce the file size. As you can see from the picture above, if you reduce 4K video to 1080p you’ll get a video 7 times smaller than the original, but still in good quality.
In Movavi Video Converter, you can choose any resolution of the output video (1920×1080, 1280×720, 640×480, 240×360, 3840×2160, etc), any codec, format and bitrate. Different combinations of these parameters will give different results. For instance, with the same 1080p resolution, MPEG-4 codec results in a 208Mb video, while H.264 compresses it to 229Mb. Another example: WMV format and 1080p resolution will make the video size 285Mb, and FLV in 640×480 – 43Mb.
How to compress video with Movavi Video Converter
- Upload the files to the program. Thanks to the smart CPU usage the converter can process several large files simultaneously with no delays.
- Choose the output format, codec, and resolution. You can also tweak the desired file size changing the bitrate at the same time. If you’d like to transfer compressed videos to your phone or tablet, there’s even a better way. You can choose your model from the list and the program will select the most appropriate resolution of the result video.
- Select the destination folder, or choose to save converted files next to the originals.
- If necessary, edit your files. There is a special built-in editor where you can enhance video and audio, work with subtitles and watermarks, adjust colors, crop, rotate and trim tracks.
- When everything’s ready, click on In a couple of minutes, all of your files will be compressed and converted.
Lots of supported formats make it easy to import and export files. Moreover, smart algorithm accelerates the conversion. As you can see, Movavi Video Converter ensures that file conversion doesn’t cause you any trouble and doesn’t take much time.